Editor-in-Chief: Sonya LaRae
Editor: Nile Harper
Article By: Sonya LaRae-Certified Relationship/Lifestyle Coach, Certified Image Consultant, Fashion/Style/Lifestyle Journalist
Question: Concerned Mum-London, England- I have a rather younger child that has been very concerned and frightened over several things in the news. How do I handle this with my child?
Hello Concerned Mum, I really appreciate this question right at this particular time, with so much that is taking place across the map in the news. In this day and era, our young people are dealing with news of shootings in schools, Planes being taken hostage and crashing, Isis raging attacks, to innocent individuals being gunned down by those sworn to protect. Other than placing your child in a safety bubble you have to address and quiet such fears.
Concerned Mum, even though our children/child maybe young doesn’t mean that they are oblivious to the facts or haven’t heard such dreadful things from their peers. I have a few helpful tips that just may help at this very stressful time:
1. Speak calmly and reassuringly: Your child may rush in feeling like this is the first and last time they may speak with you regarding a very difficult subject. You must stay calm even if you’re upset over the news events and speak calmingly to your child as well as reassuring them that they are safe and you are there to protect them.
2. Respect their fears: meaning do not minimize what they are saying or laugh. You want your child to feel they can approach you with any concern, fear or situation they maybe facing.
3. Think age appropriate: Don’t give to much graphic details to your young child they are very sensitive and become afraid easily, due to the fact they do not know how to handle nor process the information that is so overwhelming.
4.Keep it very brief: Do not make this a three to six hour conversation.. Young children have a time processing such information, their minds are moving faster than they can even formulate a sentence and you don’t want to over kill the talk.
5. Monitor, Monitor, Monitor: All news stories aren’t appropriate for young children, be mindful of what you are allowing your child to see and hear. You may be surprised by the effect it is having on them.
6. Close the night out on a positive: Never have a very weighty conversation at bedtime.. You may find your child wakes to nightmares or has a very restless night. Allow them to go to be with positivity and safety that you will always be there and that you love them.
Concerned Mum, these are just a few tips to help you with calming the fears of your child. By far it isn’t easy to raise a child in these troubling times but, you want to do everything to help to nurture a healthy balance when it comes to anxiety. I appreciate your question and I hope that a few of these tips will help.
Give us your feedback: What are some ways you’ve spoken to your child regarding very sensitive news topics?
We cannot wait to hear your feedback and if you have your own LaPazions Talk question please feel free to email them to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget to join our Exclusive Facebook page, to see our stunning coverage from the hottest runways, red carpets and other stunning events: http://www.facebook.com/lapazimageing
Come join our Glamorous Instagram to receive your dosage off Style inspiration & much more: http://www.instagram.com/lapazimageing
We’d love to get social with you join our Twitter community: http://www.twitter.com/LaPazConsultant
Would you love for Lapazimageing Fashion Forward to attend your next fabulous runway show, red carpet event, product launch, VIP opening? Email Nelson Nirmond at email@example.com
Have a stunning product that you’d like for Lapazimageing to review i.e. cosmetic, clothing, jewelry that you’d like for us to review? Email Lindsay Miles at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lapazimageing Fashion Forward
Where Everything is Fabulous!
*Giving Style a Voice*
This article is property of LaPaz Image/Event Consultants and copyrights of lapazimageingfashion.com © 2011-2016. It is prohibited by law to copy, add or release this information without the signed authorization of the so said company herein listed in this article under the laws of The United States and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Copyright Infringement Laws.